Prologue: Zone out (Trying to define the undefinable )


The conception of an idea no matter how vague or obvious the influence, is often a subconscious, that is until the time you know what it is, but I only really think I know what my idea is.

Even though it was over 6 months since the start of this project I have discovered instead of researching a specific topic I instead was unravelling g a mystery.



Below are some of the different ways in which I define this project and the ideas behind it - but first, the video you see above is called zone out, its mainly about identification or representation of the mental state which we  Zoning out or better known as Daydreaming. the piece originally was a challenge piece which I proposed to my collective as a 3-day project of which the first day was spent location scouting and i wrote the script that night in bed and the second way which was dedicated to filming and the third which was editing. At the time after the first edit was done the group hated the outcome, conceptually the idea was good and visuals weren't bad but the whole thing felt hurried, weirdly enough as time went on and we showed it to people outside the group we found it growing on us. Until to the point where I realized one day while researching for the project that this would be a very good piece of somewhat visually explain my project which at the time I was finding and arguably still are finding very hard to do.



(Please watch the video if you haven't by this point)



Project explanation attempt Present: The reason why I believe this video to be a good visual representation of my project is because it conceptually identifies a consciousness, in the case of the video that consciousness is daydreaming but in doing so it also logically proves I this case the existence of the consciousness of this character we see on the screen and this I think is the core idea behind my project, identifying or documenting the consciousness of another, the approaches I have taken so far include very forward journalistic style documentary where I go out on the streets and try to capture what's happening and questioning the mindset of being different levels of safe and comfortable in different environments (find video in previous post titled, earth, acid, stars). Then I started experimenting in the photographic darkroom, and then I looked at different realities. These will be further explained in their respective posts.



Project explanation attempt Past:

Defining the project

Talking pictures

The project is about how the artwork talks to the person sensing it.

What takes the person into another world and what makes them aware of their own reality.

What the work makes the person feel or think, mixing effects of classical and modern art.



Psychological effects/states created from a visual language



- trying to make people think.

- making you conscious of your own singularity, through thinking and thought provocations.

=your [ singularity ] Are you? =

=        [Inside]                        =

    You      are       uncertain

- Does? It confirms your existence



{Just like Tom Hunter references Vermeer and other painters (he is influenced by them). I choose to reference philosophical ideas such as empiricism by philosophers such as Hume, Nitchze, Deleux... And other texts which looks not only into outer space but inner, the consciousness (therefore the aim is not to just stimulate or change mindset but to make aware the viewer of their inner self) }



- Video (Narrative was used to as a hook)

- Images are direct references to philosophical ideas and text.



To see the camera as the object which captures a person soul or acknowledges a personal existence.



I see it as flattery, You go out of your way to not interact with people which I understand I do the same but you not only interact with me but make logically fact in doing so that you think of me, so, fellow matter, know that I see you but not you actually, i can take a picture of you but not you actually, I can sing about you but not you actually, but I know that you have chosen to look this beautiful, this cool and calm and collective and held together by invisible string and bells and rings. You actually are beautiful and that's flattery.



If your existence is a shadow moving across the wall, you (consciousness, soul) can only be the light source, and not to romanticise it too much but thinking of a camera as the capturer of this singularity, it doesn't capture it, it keeps a copy, it documents in time but what differentiates a person from an object, the complexity of thought, objects have none, animals have some, humans have most, and not just any thought, free thought, a thought we can think about. Thinking about a thought.



And without other humans object would have insignificant meaning, if not none at all, we assign our relations to things because we are told what they are, if we didn't know what a spoon was we would not know what a spoon is.

A person can tell you what they are. That may be influenced but they still get the choice to be what they want. To bend something which does not itself exist is easy but to bend something which does exist I have been told that it requires energy and therefore I know it requires energy and I will forever know that it will require energy.



Complete sync scenario would be free effortless interaction with the atoms around us just like air, i sensed after a while that I did not need energy to go through the air so therefore i know and will always know until I do not know that i do require energy to travel through the air.

You can create freely and leasuerly as to not worry about survival.



I document the creators.



-questioning reality by arguing the legitimacy of your senses (perception)

-questioning what you perceive to be real - reverencing Humes ideas of empiricism.

Breaking down the visual medium of photography (a medium which did and is capturing our "reality" more and more) to further argue the illegitimacy of what you perceive to be true/real.





 Kid: Somebody tell me. Why does it feel more real when I dream than when I am awake? How can I know if my senses are lying?



Neo: There is some fiction in your truth, and some truth in your fiction. To know the truth, you must risk everything.



-Animatrix



 “Our bodies have five senses: touch, smell, taste, sight, hearing. But not to be overlooked are the senses of our souls: intuition, peace, foresight, trust, empathy. The differences between people lie in their use of these senses; most people don't know anything about the inner senses while a few people rely on them just as they rely on their physical senses, and in fact probably even more.”



― C. JoyBell C.





 “We have five senses in which we glory and which we recognise and celebrate, senses that constitute the sensible world for us. But there are other senses -- secret senses, sixth senses, if you will -- equally vital, but unrecognised, and unlauded. These senses, unconscious, automatic, had to be discovered.”



― Oliver Sacks, The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales



Comments