Darkroom Experiment 1: Searching for the singularity


The plan for this experiment was simple, I was going to make a photoshop file in which I would create a grid which when printed on A4 acetate would be the perfect size of the 35mm film,  the idea was to after printing cut the acetate so it exacts a 35mm film and then to sandwich the film and the acetate in the enlarger, the outcome you see here. - 24mm x 36mm


First experiment with shapes, text, and textures
Then combine them all.

+ Then maybe add in things above the paper, but only things which refract light in an abstract way. Only do this if necessary, if not keep it simple

Notes: make sure the text used is strong

"I tell my self what I am"

Why?

You are

When did you forsake your self

Yup, we are fucked,
please be yourself.


Clarity confines you to matter but what matters is you.


Okay, so, the point of this experiment became clear after it was complete, i achieved what I had sought out to do, and in doing so I learned new things about my craft which I did not before, acetate has a grain which comes through the shadows when you enlarge it as though it was a film. in mixing reality and abstraction (in this case text, optical allusions and so on) you almost create this state of perpetual confusion for the viewer, even if for a second it creates this sense of confusion and questioning ones selfs vision or perception and I believe it is in that moment where you assure the existence of the viewer and not only that but also the physical existence of the real world.

Random Vaguely explanatory notes:

  • Searching for the singularity within you
  • Questioning your existence
  • Questioning the existence of the object we call an image
  • Questioning the legitimacy of our own vision, perception, senses
  • What differentiates a person from an object or a picture of a person form a picture of an object
  • Animate vs inanimate vs alive vs not-alive
Questioning the readiness of reality questioning the legitimacy of your senses (perception).\
Questioning reality by arguing the legitimacy of your senses./
Questioning what you perceive to be real, refrencing Humes ideas of empiricism. breakign down the visual medium of photography to further argue the ligitamacy of what you precive to be real/true.






The idea is simple, after doing the acetate experiment I was to carry of doing sandwich prints with colour film but this time with my own quotes...
The plan for the next acetate print is the following categories of things:
- philosophical ideas represented through either text or design/illustration
- direct quotes from books and essay(check if I am allowed to use them) (start a conversation about negative space)
- maybe scan my drawings, invert and not inverted, scanned


"What if you stopped thinking a month ago, would you be here now"

"Death" accompanied by the image of the graves - accompanied by the Fugges quote " I wasn't put here to stay

have the balls to point of crap which is wrong
instead of just ignoring it on the street

Evaluation and progression: all in all this experiment was a success, the print came out good and the acetate masks worked better than I thought, the optical illusions and even the text were effective(i say the text because I thought it would end up looking generic but the darkroom qualities to the print kept it looking authentic). for the next experiment I plan to print instead of black and white acetate, colour acetate on which I will experiment again with optical allusions and text and designs but first because I want to understand how the colour interacts with the paper in the developing stage I will first make an acetate which will be completely colour and shades of all colours.



Comments